Top 5 Experiences in Central America
There are SO many different things you can do in Central America, but here’s my top five most recommended experiences.
5. Swim under a waterfall. Every country in Central America boasts at least one awesome waterfall. Often you can swim in its pool, sometimes even jump off it or slide down it. Endless fun! Read about one of my favourite waterfalls here.
4. Snorkel or scuba dive. Central America is filled with an abudance of sea life. Caye Caulker in Belize and Utilla in Honduras are the most popular places to snorkel and scuba dive, but there are also plenty of great spots in Panama and Costa Rica too.
3. Go to Sunday Funday. It’s impossible to travel through Central America without hearing about this hectic day-drinking party. Every Sunday San Juan Del Sur plays host to an all-day pool crawl, where you hop between hostels and bars, each with a pool, DJs and obviously many drinks. If you can survive til after dark…you’ve done well! Stay at Casa de Olas while you’re there.
2. Learn Spanish. If you want to learn Spainsh, this is the place to do it. The locals get so excited if you use the tiniest bit of Spanish, that it just enthuses you to learn. Many people stop off for a few weeks in Guatemala (San Pedro or Antigua) to take Spanish lessons while staying with a local family. To read about my experience learning Spanish in Guatemala, click here.
1. Climb a volcano! There are so many options for volcano climbing! The most popular is Volcan Acetanago in Guatemala, an overnight hike where you’re able to see Fuego – an active volcano – erupting all night long. Another popular one is Cerro Negro, a small volcano in Nicaragua you can climb in less than an hour..and then go “volcano boarding” to get back down!
What do you think? Is there anything else you would add to the list? Share your thoughts in the comments below!